Wednesday 17 January 2007

Pandora

He leaves his life behind these locks,
Secrets safe in a simple box.

The deafening tick and the tock of the clock,
The sickening click of the key in the lock,
He promised he loved me but I want the proof,
And lifting the lid, I look for the truth.

Secrets come flying from where they were hidden,
And I understand why the box was forbidden.

The deafening tick and the tock of the clock,
The sickening click of a key in the lock,
The deadening draw of the opening door,
The pad, pad of his feet on the floor.

He sees me kneel with the key in my hand.
He smiles, and whispers "Now you understand."

I look in his eyes, all broken and blue,
I whisper and smile "Yes boy. I do."

1 comment:

  1. i still maintain that "boy" doesn't communicate love. at all.
    maybe it does waaaay down south where you are.

    but besides that, i loved the poem. :)
    i'm a sucker for rhyming poems.

    ReplyDelete